In every update, Apple products improve with a slew of new features and capabilities. Remember, it's always FREE to upgrade! Here’s a quick overview of what to check out in iOS 10.
Apple's secure, encrypted, free, and international messaging app has an extensive set of new features! In the new iMessage you can send messages in your own handwriting, share your heartbeat, send stickers, change the background, or even animate your text bubbles.
Words that correspond with emojis automatically highlight as you type so you can tap the word to transform it into the associated emoji! Quick reactions (like a thumbs up) to messages are just one tap away. Have something special you want to send as a surprise? You can send a message or photo that is blurred with Invisible Ink until the recipient wipes to see what's hidden!
Send money right through iMessage to contacts or groups. New full-screen animations add even more impact to your statements.
Home App: Apple now has a dedicated Home app to control HomeKit enabled smart devices with your voice, based on your location, or with a couple of taps. For example, turn on lights, change the temperature, open a garage door, or raise your window shades automatically upon arriving home or you can lock doors, turn of lights, and cut power to appliances when going to bed. Hundreds of companies and thousands of products already work with HomeKit and there are many more to come!
Music App: the Music app has many significant changes. Easily find music to stream (from over 30,000,000 songs) with Apple Music or from your own library with iTunes Match. You can choose to optimize phone storage and save albums for offline listening automatically, or you can store/delete them with a single swipe. Scroll down to automatically display song lyrics! As always, without unlocking your phone you can ask Siri to "play the newest album by..." any artist you please!
Notes App: Notes now allows collaboration for groups or teams to share and edit the same note! Want to keep a note private? Lock it with TouchID!
Mail App: Mail has a three pane view on iPad, full conversational thread view sortable and filtered by options of your choosing, and single button unsubscribe from mailing lists.
There are now major system-wide third party app integrations into iMessage, Maps, Siri, etc. For example, you can make reservations at and order a car to a restaurant all within the Maps App thanks to services like OpenTable and Uber. Don't want to open your phone? Ask Siri for a Lyft to a location and she'll automatically request a car and plan out the route from your current location!
Have a new favorite app that you have to send to your friends or colleagues? If you have a 6S or newer, press the app using 3D touch on your home screen and share it directly from the pop-up menu!
- Lift your phone to your face to activate "raise to wake"
- The new notifications and widgets are interactive, condensed and more informative
- 3D touch can allow you to respond directly to a message notification or to clear all with a deep press
- Swipe right for instant access to the Camera, swipe up for an in-depth Control Center with a dedicated music, media, and streaming pane
- Two Safari windows side by side on iPad can be achieved by a long press on a link, then "open in split view." There is also a close all tabs at once option.
- Voicemail automatically transcribes messages to text
- If all of your software is updated, you can copy something on a Mac and paste it on your iPhone (or vice versa)
- Multilingual typing allows for texting in several languages at once without switching keyboards
- There are new, softer keyboard and locking sounds for letter, shift, and delete buttons etc. so you know if you're hitting the correct keys and don’t disrupt others around you
- Contextual predictions automatically suggest phone numbers, email addresses etc. based on conversations, events, and more when you type someone’s name, or can show you free time in your calendar when you say something like "I'm available at..."